Sunday 29 October 2017

The New Normal



Hello dear readers!

There’s a strange feeling in the air. A feeling of things coming to an end. A feeling of a new chapter about to start, To be frank, it’s about bloody time.

Anyone who has had the stamina and slight sense of masochism to have read the blog over the last few months will know what I’m talking about. For those that have not had that most dubious of pleasures, I am referring to my recent diagnosis of MS and the hectic merry-go round of life since then.

It’s been a time of much change but maybe, just maybe, things are starting to calm down.

The End
I think the trigger for this feeling of, well you could almost say renewal I suppose, is that this week, some 6 weeks after handing my notice at my former workplace, I received my P45.

This has been something I’ve been chasing them for a good few weeks as it’s needed to process my ESA claim. It wasn’t an easy decision to give up work, even if it be just for a while, but even though I’ve not worked since my diagnosis in July and arranged to actually officially leave back in September, the arrival of the official document carried with it a resounding note of finality.


In Hot Water
On top of that, this was also the week that I have said goodbye to my beloved bath. In it’s stead, a wet room is in the midst of being installed, courtesy of Kirklees Metropolitan Council. This is a measure to ensure my safety as, given my existing Spina Bifida, the special, one time bonus condition of Multiple Sclerosis, and the fact I have the natural grace and elan of a dead penguin, getting in and out of the bath could be a little daunting, if not downright dangerous, especially as things progress.

I will miss my bath though. I like a soak. It is not unheard of for me to spend an hour up to my neck in suds, letting life’s troubles melt away in the warm water. The bath is my relaxing place, my thinking place, and, although I’m sure I’ll adapt to the adaptations, I can’t see a shower being the same. Still, first world problems as they say.

Bubbles
Other than that, the ramp leading up to our front door is complete, affording me quick, easy and not life endangering access to my own home. The bridge across to the garden is too. This spans the gap between the back door and the raised main portion of said garden, a trip that would have meant getting down three substantial stairs to the pathway around this area, and then an equal number to go back up.

Having the bridge therefore gives me easy access, opening up a world of gardening, barbecues, and summer nights with a glass of prosecco, and a cucumber sarnie (very civilised old bean). Of course if the bridge didn’t end rather abruptly at a wheelchair stopping gravel covered area it would be ideal, but then you can’t ask for everything, and I suppose it does give me easy access to my, um, gravel.



The Lap of Necessity
That then, is it. The measures to live with my new disease, including the regular injections of Plegridy to hopefully reduce the chance of further relapse (the third one, a full dose, didn’t quite kick my arse as bad as the first two), are in place, all apart from the arrival of any money from the ESA claim that is.

Hopefully this is sorted sooner rather than later, in order for us to enjoy such luxuries as heating, water, and food. I believe the bank are quite keen on mortgage repayments being made on time too.

Given the DSS getting their skates on though, this is life, for the moment at least. This is the new normal. I will need to find things to occupy my time and my poor excuse for a mind, although so far, my writing, our Xbox, and the myriad wonders of the internet are just about keeping me sane.



By The Book
Reading is unfortunately out for now, as my eyes are still not great and long periods of focusing both visually and mentally seem beyond me at the moment. But as my good lady wife is fond of saying, now is not forever and audio books are something we will have a look at when finances allow.

However, these are small concerns and it is up to me to utilise my time the best I can. There’s a lot to explore in these next few months. The new normal awaits, and finding out just what that is might just turn out to be something of a positive. Who knows.

Until next time...

No comments:

Post a Comment